blue yeast

Ainsley Clare Bayliss anichol at larry.cc.emory.edu
Sat Apr 8 16:52:00 EST 1995

Hello all.  I am using a his3/lac Z fusion protein and will need to make
individual yeast colonies turn blue with Xgal.  My colonies are turning
blue, but they take forever to grow (on media that is pH 7.05) and even
longer to turn blue, and so far they don't all turn blue.  Does anyone
have experience with plating yeast on Xgal?  Can I increase the acidity
of my media somewhat without losing the activity of the Xgal?  Is there
any way to speed up the color change?  Also, does anyone know the
specific activity of B-galactosidase?  What specific activity is
necessary for yeast to turn blue?
	Thank your in advance for all your help!
			Ainsley