yeast mating

David R. Nelson dnelson at
Mon Apr 24 08:16:08 EST 1995

In article <macdiarm-2404951719460001 at>,
macdiarm at (Colin MacD) wrote:

> Hi out there
> I need some help again from the newsgroup.  I have mated two isogenic haploids and want to isolate a diploid

> Colin MacDiarmid
> macdiarm at

	I have been reading a very interesting book this past week called The
Early Days of Yeast Genetics.  It is a treasure trove of facts about yeast.
 One thing that was mentioned, is that diploids grow faster than haploids
and the cells are larger.  I bet if you grew your mated culture for a few
generations, most of what you would have left would be dipoids. Then you
could test for sporulation from some single colonies to prove that they are
David R. Nelson
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Tennessee, Memphis