yeast mating

David R. Nelson dnelson at utmem1.utmem.edu
Mon Apr 24 08:16:08 EST 1995

In article <macdiarm-2404951719460001 at 130.216.26.66>,
macdiarm at sbsu1.auckland.ac.nz (Colin MacD) wrote:

> Hi out there
> I need some help again from the newsgroup.  I have mated two isogenic haploids and want to isolate a diploid

> Colin MacDiarmid
> macdiarm at sbsu1.auckland.ac.nz

	I have been reading a very interesting book this past week called The
Early Days of Yeast Genetics.  It is a treasure trove of facts about yeast.
 One thing that was mentioned, is that diploids grow faster than haploids
and the cells are larger.  I bet if you grew your mated culture for a few
generations, most of what you would have left would be dipoids. Then you
could test for sporulation from some single colonies to prove that they are
diploid.
--
David R. Nelson
Assistant Professor