Flocculation of Saccharomyces

Michael Lichten lichten at HELIX.NIH.GOV
Thu Apr 27 08:28:28 EST 1995

>In article <D7HyCt.H94 at news.gu.se>, Joakim Norbeck
><Joakim.Norbeck at gmm.gu.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi out there,
>>
>> I have some problems with a yeast strain which
>> flocculates when it reaches high cell densities,
>> presumably in late respiratory phase. This is a
>> slight problem for me since my precultures will not
>> grow to expected densities.
>> Does anyone have a clue to why yeast flocculates under certain
>> conditions anyway?
>>
>> Any comment will be of great help,
>>
>> Joakim.Norbeck at gmm.gu.se

We have found that the addition of polypropylene glycol 2000 to .001% helps
to inhibit flocculation of strain SK1.  You can get it from Aldrich.  SK1
flocculation is much greater during respiratory growth than during
fermentative growth, and haploids flocculate to a greater extent that
diploids.  I hope that this is helpful

Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov