High school labs

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Wed Aug 2 09:18:48 EST 1995

BHOOPES at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU wrote:
>In article <3vj7t9$r55 at no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
>Lynda Hanssen <yuan at ufcc.ufl.edu> wrote:
>> I'm looking for any lab activities involving
>>Mendelian genetics with yeasts.
>
>  This might be a bit difficult since yeast genetics usually requires
>microdissection of the tetrads. After thinking of it for a while I really
>can't think of anything to do with yeast that could be done in a high school
>setting.
>
>DanZ
>
>--We've done genetics labs with yeast in our freshman course doing random
>spore analysis.  It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing, but students can
>get the gist of complementation and segregation just doing crosses, sporulating,
and looking at the phenotype of random spores by replica plating.
>	B Hoopes
>	Colgate

Random spore analysis is routine with Schiz. pombe, and looks just
fine, thanks!  (It's quite easy to kill the vegetative cells with
glusalase).   pombe also has red ade mutants and different alleles of
the ade6 gene may be identified by their degree of pigmentation.  There
is  a very nice intragenic complementation of the ade6-M210 and
M216 alleles. Finally, the vital stain phloxin B (resulting in
those pink  plates you see in  fission yeast labs) is useful to
 identify diploids or mutants that grow poorly.

Wow, too bad no one has set it up for pedagogical use. :-)

susan

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
 "I don't speak for the Institute,
 and the Institute  doesnt speak for me."