High school labs

Dan Zabetakis dan at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 2 23:26:17 EST 1995

In article <01HTKKG8VS76A4P0CU at center.colgate.edu>,
 <BHOOPES at CENTER.COLGATE.EDU> wrote:

>--We've done genetics labs with yeast in our freshman course doing random
>spore analysis.  It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing, but students can

  Yeah, if you can get it worked out well enough it would be fine. But I
still despair of getting a group of high schoolers to do it right. And
analysing the result of a random spore (with some diploids) will require
quite a bit of explanation. I had a hard enough time explaining it
to my committee (non-yeast).

  But if it can be pulled off it would be cool to distinguish Mendelian
from non-Mendelian genetics. That should confuse them real nice. :-)

DanZ