Mitochondrial transcription

AL R. PLUMMER aplummer at sprint.uccs.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:31:31 EST 1995

Chris Grant (C.Grant at unsw.EDU.AU) wrote:
: Dear Yeast Network

:         Can anyone answer what may be a simple question for me. Do yeast
: mitochondrial promoters usually work in the nucleus? I would be grateful
: for any information that anyone has.

:         Chris

: Chris Gant,
: School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics,
: University of New South Wales,
: Sydney 2052, Australia
: Phone +61 (2) 385 2031
: Fax   +61 (2) 313 6271

First, you should reallize that the mitochondrial code differs from the
universal.  Therefore, if a mitochondrial gene is to be expressed in the
nucleus, it will be necessary to change some codons to give rise to a
altered gene.  The gene then has to be supplied with a mitochondrial
targeting sequence for import into the mitochondria.  I have only heard
of two genes, Subunit 8 of MIT ATPase and b14 mataurase (intron encoded)
that have been expressed in the nucleus.  It should be noted that
in affect they are finall expressed in mature form in the mitochondria.

I know this does not answer your question as you asked it, but hopefully
it helps somewhat.
		-Al (aplummer at sprint.uccs.edu)