spt7

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Thu Aug 10 15:37:55 EST 1995

> From: jg at proteome.com (James I. Garrels)

> adatta at bimcore.emory.edu wrote:
> >Hi..
> >
> >does anyone know anything about the cerevisiae spt7
> >gene....function...phenotype?
> >any refs.?
> >
> >thanx
> >adatta
>
> The following information on Spt7p is from the YPD database.  Similar
> reports are now automatically available for any yeast protein by sending
> Email to yeast at proteome.com and putting the gene name or names in the
> subject line.  Enter HELP in the subject line for more information.

In addition to Jim's impressive report, with Entrez (on WWW, Network or CD-ROM)
you can get the Nucleotide, Protein and bibliographic 'neighbors' ... I
attach a couple of the Medline article which are in Entrez.

If you want to know more about Entrex, send some info requests to
info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

regards,

francis

questions:                info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

WWW URL:             http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Genetics 139: 523-536  (1995) [95229044]

The Saccharomyces cerevisiae SPT7 gene encodes a very acidic protein important
for transcription in vivo.

L. J. Gansheroff, C. Dollard, P. Tan & F. Winston

Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115,
USA.

Mutations in the SPT7 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae originally were
identified as suppressors of Ty and delta insertion mutations in the 5' regions
of the HIS4 and LYS2 genes. Other genes that have been identified in mutant
hunts of this type have been shown to play a role in transcription. In this
work we show that SPT7 is also important for proper transcription in vivo. We
have cloned and sequenced the SPT7 gene and have shown that it encodes a large,
acidic protein that is localized to the nucleus. The SPT7 protein contains a
bromodomain sequence; a deletion that removes the bromodomain from the SPT7
protein causes no detectable mutant phenotype. Strains that contain an spt7
null mutation are viable but grow very slowly and have transcriptional defects
at many loci including insertion mutations, Ty elements, the INO1 gene and the
MFA1 gene. These transcriptional defects and other mutant phenotypes are
similar to those caused by certain mutations in SPT15, which encodes the TATA
binding protein (TBP). The similarity of the phenotypes of spt7 and spt15
mutants, including effects of spt7 mutations on the transcription start site of
certain genes, suggests that SPT7 plays an important role in transcription
initiation in vivo.

MeSH Terms:
  Amino Acid Sequence
  Cell Nucleus/chemistry
  Cloning, Molecular
  Genes, Fungal/*genetics
  Molecular Sequence Data
  Mutation/physiology
  Promoter Regions (Genetics)/genetics
  RNA, Fungal/analysis
  RNA, Messenger/analysis
  Restriction Mapping
  Saccharomyces cerevisiae/*genetics
  Sequence Analysis, DNA
  Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
  Support, U.S. Gov't, Non-P.H.S.
  Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.
  Transcription Factors/analysis/*genetics/physiology
  *Transcription, Genetic

Gene Symbols:
  SPT7

Substances:
  RNA, Messenger
  Transcription Factors
  RNA, Fungal
  SPT7 protein

Nucleic Acids Res 20: 2603  (1992) [92285152]

The bromodomain: a conserved sequence found in human, Drosophila and yeast
proteins.

S. R. Haynes, C. Dollard, F. Winston, S. Beck, J. Trowsdale & I. B. Dawid

Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, NICHD, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892.

MeSH Terms:
  Amino Acid Sequence
  Animal
  Consensus Sequence
  DNA-Binding Proteins/*chemistry/genetics
  Drosophila/genetics
  Fungal Proteins/*chemistry/genetics
  Genes, Homeo Box/genetics
  Human
  Molecular Sequence Data
  Protein Conformation
  Saccharomyces cerevisiae/genetics
  Transcription Factors/*chemistry/genetics

Gene Symbols:
  CCG1
  fsh
  RING3