Direct cell to cell Yeast-E.coli shuttle by electroporation?

Daniel Harkness harkness at bio.bu.edu
Wed Aug 16 08:20:21 EST 1995

John R. Thompson (jrt at intac.com) wrote:
: Has anyone mixed yeast cells and E.coli cells and electroporated to effect
: a direct cell to cell transfer for shuttling plasmids?   I can't recall if
: seen the concept published or just thought it should be possible.

: John Thompson

Dear John,

In "Guide to Yeast Genetics and Molecular Biology" by Guthrie and Fink
there is a section on conjugation between bacteria and yeast in terms of
transmission of plasmids (page 187).  Basically they say mating only occurs
on a solid substrate to ensure yeast/bacteria contact.  I didn't read anything
on electroporation but then again the copyright on this edition is '91.  If
you do come across a reference for electroporation of yeast and bacteria
please post.  I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Dan Harkness
Boston University