Sequencing Report

Steve Kron kron at WI.MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 25 13:03:17 EST 1995

Dear friends,

As a regular user of the the data that comes from the systematic sequencing
projects, I say Bravo!!  This is clearly the most exhilarating change in
budding yeast biology since the beginning of molecular analysis.  Not a day
goes by where I do not use in some way data that derives from this
fantastic enterprise.

Truly wonderful, the nearing completion of the sequencing will end the era
of non-science that still persists--the proliferation of papers reporting a
yeast gene that looks like a mammalian protein and little else.  Bravo
again.  Soon we will all turn back to biology: pathways and biochemistry
and physiology.  The effects on the literature are already obvious.

Thank you to all the sequencers!

However, one question: what is "confidential" data doing staying
confidential?  I am a big fan of immediate release.  Is there still any
argument for not releasing each cosmid size chunk as it is completed?  When
can we expect for this policy to end?

I'm sure there are arguments both ways.  Anyone care to weigh in?

Steve