yeast genomic DNA

Mon Dec 11 09:05:28 EST 1995

> To:            yeast at
> From:          poonso at (Poonsook Orprayoon)
> Subject:       yeast genomic DNA
> Date:          10 Dec 1995 23:34:59 -0800

> Hello everybody,
> I wonder if anyone could tell me the simple method for extracting yeast
> chromosomal DNA or total DNA.  We have tried using the glassbead to break
> cell but the DNA we got seem to be too small. I think that the DNA may be
> chopped or this method works only with the plasmid DNA.  Anyone knows,
> plase comment.
> Poonsook
> E-mail:poonso at

We routinely use the glass-bead `smash and grab' on a variety of
yeast.  If you over vortex or allow to get to hot (without
intermittent icing) you get sheared DNA.  Most of the time we get the
majority of DNA >20 kbp but some sheared down into the 4 kbp range.
If you want good clean HMW DNA you probably have to go to

||                  Douglas Rhoads                        ||                             ||
||drhoads at || Dept. of Biological Sciences||
||drhoads at    || 601 Science Engineering     ||
||501-575-3251             || University of Arkansas      ||
||FAX 501-575-4010         || Fayetteville, AR 72701      ||
||     My Dogma Just Got Run Over by Someone's Karma      ||