Microscopes for yeast?

Michael Lichten lichten at HELIX.NIH.GOV
Mon Feb 6 09:37:45 EST 1995

Mike Benedik wrote:

>I would like to buy a microscope for the lab to look at yeast. At this
>point it is mostly just for visual screening for healthy cells,
>sporulation, obvious morphology changes etc. (no fluorescence or
>anything).
>Am I correct in assuming I just need a good phase contrast scope??
>If so, are there any significant differences between the major vendors
>like Nikon, Leitz or Zeiss?? Anything to know about or watch out for??

You just need a phase contrast scope.  However, if you think that you are
ever going to dissect tetrads (why work with yeast if you don't dissect
tetrads? ;-)
I would recommend that you talk to Zeiss.  They sell a tetrad dissecting
scope that is pretty good, and you might want to get a scope that can
easily be retrofitted to dissect tetrads.

Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov