reddish strain in 2-hybrid

Ronan.Okennedy Ronan.okennedy at ucg.ie
Mon Feb 6 17:36:08 EST 1995

>After reading the post and some of the responses dealing with this question,
>I wonder if it is possible that what is growing as reddish colonies on
>the raffinose, etc. plates is a contaminant.  Torula grows as a tangerine-
>raspberry sherbet color and is quite happy on most kinds of Saccharomyces
>media.  If you have Torula, it will be quite vigorous and be essentially
>prototrophic for growth on standard yeast dropout media.
>
>Beth Montelone
>bethmont at ksu.ksu.edu

This sounds like one of my major headaches. It sometimes contaminates my
chemostats and  contaminates undergrad chemostats very freqently. I've
never really looked into the problem since that
last time a tried it started to grow everywhere.This probably doesn't say
much for my asepsis :-) , but if anyone out there is finds this on plates
or in broths ( they are bright pink!)and intends doing continuous culture
GET RID OF THOSE OFFENDING CULTURES IMMEDIATLY and give the lab a good
scrub!!!
Sorry of my paranoia but the idea of this getting into long term
experiments sends shivers up my spine. In saying that if there is any more
info on Torula I would appriciate it.

Ronan O'Kennedy
Growth and Fermenatation Technology Lab
Dept of Microbiology