PhloxinB & cerevisiae

Belhumeur Pierre belhumep at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Wed Feb 8 09:25:01 EST 1995

Hello netters,

I know that people working with pombe use phloxin B in their plates when
screening for, say, suppression at high temp: it facilitates the
discrimination between viable colonies from those who grew a bit and then
die...The stain concentration with pombe is I believe 1 in 2000 of a 0.5%
stock solution. Has anyone tried it with cerevisiae? And then, should one
use the same conc.? Viable colonies should be white if I get it right
(oxydize the stain)? I want to save me some steps...

Any comment will be appreciated,

Thanking everybody in advance,

Pierre Belhumeur
Microbiology, U. of Montreal