phloxin B: follow-up

Belhumeur Pierre belhumep at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Thu Feb 9 12:47:15 EST 1995

Fellow netters,

Here's the latest (and only!) answer I received: that speaks for itself.
I wish to thank Mike Moser for explaining how phloxin B works. I must say
that I tried the pombe concentration (2.5 mg per L, sterilizing the 0.5%
stock solution by filtration) and it seems to work too: as you'll see
below, Vickie uses this stain at 20 mg per L but it is autoclaved with
the medium. Any concentration will do!!

Again, thanks everybody

Pierre Belhumeur
Microbiology, U. of Montreal
belhumep at ere.umontreal.ca

Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 10:30:33 -0700
From: Vickie Peck <vpeck at triton.unm.edu>
To: belhumep at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Subject: Phloxine B Screening

Dear Dr. Belhumeur;
        I am responding to your request for  information regarding phloxine
B .  We have used phloxine B to screen for stationary phase mutations in S.
cerevisiae.  Phloxine B  is added directly to the medium at 20 mg/l, which
is autoclaved as usual.  For more information, see Cannon et al., Genetics
113:247-264 (1986).  Good luck!
                                Sincerely,
                                Vickie Peck
                                Dept. of Biology
]                               University of New Mexico
                                Albuquerque, NM  87131