About competent cells.

Narushi Iizuka iizuka at cmews2.med.nagoya-cu.ac.jp
Mon Feb 20 03:48:58 EST 1995

I have a question about competent cell of yeast.  To transform S.
cerevisiae such as w303-1A, I've used frozen competent cells (like E. coli
competent cells) for two years.  Efficiency is 10^4 to 10^7 cfu per
microgram pRS313 DNA, depending on the method (LiOAc, spheroplasting, and
electroporation).  Recently, one of my friend told me that nobody had
reported a frozen method and that I should report the method somewhere.  Is
it true?  Is it worth while?  I cannot believe that nobody has reported
such a way and that all of yeast people make fresh competent cells
everytime.  Please let me know if someone has references.

Narushi Iizuka
iizuka at cmews2.med.nagoya-cu.ac.jp (Narushi Iizuka)