Genome progress/examples

Francis Ouellette francis at borduas.nlm.nih.gov
Wed Jan 4 18:02:33 EST 1995

this was posted on another bionet newsgroup, and I
thought it would be of interest to some of
the readers of this newsgroup.

regards,

francis

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette
|
| francis at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

[ Article crossposted from bionet.molbio.genome-program ]
[ Author was Mike Cherry (cherry at stout.Stanford.EDU) ]
[ Posted on 4 Jan 1995 21:02:44 GMT ]

In article <3edh6p$bdn at decaxp.harvard.edu>,
Keith Robison <robison at nucleus.harvard.edu> wrote:
>Current contigs >300 Kb, based largely on my memory
>
>C.elegans chr III segment		 >3 Mb (>7Mb??)
>E.coli 69'-4'				  1.6Mb
>Yeast chromosome II			800Kb
>Yeast chromosome IX			660Kb
>Human T-cell receptor			685Kb
>Yeast chromosome VIII			560Kb
>Yeast chromosome III			315Kb
>
>(300 Kb is an arbitrary cutoff designed to grab only genome-project
>output and avoid the viruses).

Three other yeast chromosome's were completed in 1994, thus there are
seven of the sixteen S. cerevisiae chromosomes in the databases.  A
few corrections from the above list.

  I      223Kb (under Keith's cutoff)
  II     807Kb
  III    315Kb
  V      569Kb
  VIII   563Kb
  IX     440Kb
  XI     666Kb

I believe few new large sequences will be deposited in the sequence
databases in one piece as the NCBI/EMBL/DDBJ are agreeing on a maximum
size of an entry.  I think this size will be around 350Kb.

For all the yeast chromosomes the SGD provides a file of the entire
chromosome sequence via gopher and anonymous ftp.

Mike

J. Michael Cherry                       Internet: cherry at genome.stanford.edu

     Contacts for the Saccharomyces Genome Database Project (SGD)
             e-mail:    yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu
                ftp:    genome-ftp.stanford.edu
             Gopher:    genome-gopher.stanford.edu
                WWW:    http://genome-www.stanford.edu/
          Telephone:    415-723-8956
                FAX:    415-723-7016

Note: The SGD is still under development and some of the above
services may not be 100% yet.