Sugar concentration

Tim Bray Tim at mikebray.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 18:12:12 EST 1995

I know this is a bit of a stupid question but I am not an expert on yeast.
Can anyone help me?

Is there a named scientific theory to describe how the rate of Carbon Dioxide
production varies with the concentration of sugar.  I realise that with no
sugar nothing will happen, but someone suggested to me that if the
concentration is too high it slows down the reaction because it kills off the
yeast cells.

I understand that the type of sugar also affects the rate of activity.  Can
you tell me which sugers work and which ones don't, and if possible a reason
(chemistry speaking) for this?

Please reply by e-mail to Tim at mikebray.demon.co.uk
or to this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.