yeast colony PCR

Hugh Patterton hughg at
Sun Jan 22 13:03:47 EST 1995

>   ROSENKRANTZ at Gems.VCU.EDU writes:
>  Any good protocols? citations?  THanks
I have seen a few postings in the past in which a healthy scoop (approx. 4ul) of a *fresh* yeast colony is directly used in a
standard PCR mix.  I usually incubate approx. 2ul of a fresh yeast colony or 5ul of O/N culture in 100ul TE (pH8.0)/ 1mg/ml
zymolyase at 30 degrees for 30min, and then use 1ul of the suspension in a standard PCR reaction.  In my experience the
zymolyase pre-treatment tends to give a 2-5X better signal for equivalent amounts of substrate.

Hugh Patterton
hugh at
hughg at