E. coli mutator strains

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Thu Jul 6 09:35:53 EST 1995

raymonm at IRCM.UMontreal.CA (RAY-Martine Raymond) wrote:
>Dear netters,
>I am seeking information (references, protocols, strains, etc.) on the
>use of E. coli mutator strains (e.g. mutD) for structure-function
>studies in S. cerevisiae by random mutagenesis of a cloned gene.  I
>have heard about strain XL1-Red (deficient in DNA repair pathways); is
>this strain commercially available?

Stratagene just sent me a flyer about XL1-Red (I have no affiliation
with them).  The strain has *three* different mut mutations and must be
unstable as all get-out, but they claim a high level of plasmid hits
just in the process of forming colonies on plates.  Sounds like a great
idea to me and much much nicer than PCR or hydroxylamine.  They are
selling competent cells.  I dont know how much they cost.

susan
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu