Plasmid stability

Barbara Dunn bdunn at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jul 10 15:59:14 EST 1995

On 5 Jul 1995, Ian A. York wrote:

> This may be too broad a question, but what the heck.  How stably are
> plasmids maintained in S cervisiae?  That is, if you stop selective
> pressure, and assuming that the plasmid isn't expressing something toxic,
> what kind of half-life will it show?  Will most of the plasmid be lost
> after 6 hours in culture?  24 hours?  A week?  Or is it unpredicatable,
> or does it depend on other conditions?  I'm specifically thinking of 2
> micron plasmids, but any information would be helpful.
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
> Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston MA 02115
> Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627

An interesting paper on this subject is:  Murray AW and Szostak JW.
Pedigree analysis of plasmid segregation in yeast. Cell, 1983 Oct,
34(3):961-70.

    Barbara Dunn, Database Curator
    Saccharomyces Genome Database
    Department of Genetics
    Stanford University Med. Ctr.
    Stanford, CA  94305-5120   USA
    phone: 415-725-8956
    fax:   415-723-7016

    e-mail:        bdunn at genome.stanford.edu

    Internet contacts for Sacch. Genome Database--
    e-mail:	yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu
    Gopher:	genome-gopher.stanford.edu
    WWW:	http://genome-www.stanford.edu/
    ftp:	genome-ftp.stanford.edu