Plasmid stability

Barbara Dunn bdunn at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Mon Jul 10 15:59:14 EST 1995

On 5 Jul 1995, Ian A. York wrote:

> This may be too broad a question, but what the heck.  How stably are
> plasmids maintained in S cervisiae?  That is, if you stop selective
> pressure, and assuming that the plasmid isn't expressing something toxic,
> what kind of half-life will it show?  Will most of the plasmid be lost
> after 6 hours in culture?  24 hours?  A week?  Or is it unpredicatable,
> or does it depend on other conditions?  I'm specifically thinking of 2
> micron plasmids, but any information would be helpful.
> Ian
> --
> Ian York   (york at
> Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston MA 02115
> Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627

An interesting paper on this subject is:  Murray AW and Szostak JW.
Pedigree analysis of plasmid segregation in yeast. Cell, 1983 Oct,

    Barbara Dunn, Database Curator
    Saccharomyces Genome Database
    Department of Genetics
    Stanford University Med. Ctr.
    Stanford, CA  94305-5120   USA
    phone: 415-725-8956
    fax:   415-723-7016
    e-mail:        bdunn at
    Internet contacts for Sacch. Genome Database--
    e-mail:	yeast-curator at