Sugars in yeast ext.?

Arle Kruckeberg arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 13:32:19 EST 1995

In article <SANDY.95Jul17131112 at icr.pt.cyanamid.COM>
sandy at icr.pt.cyanamid.COM (Sandy Silverman) writes:

> Some time ago I recall anecdotal reports of dextrose in yeast extract.
> Has anybody measured sugar content of yeast ext. (or Peptone)?

Linda Bisson and Dan Fraenkel (J. Bacteriol. 159:1013-1017, 1984)
measured glucose in medium comprised of Difco yeast extract and
peptone, using a Sigam glucose oxidase kit. They reported that "growth
medium without added glucose contained 0.08 mM glucose [about
0.0015%]".

I'll bet its gone in a hurry after inoculation (an old method for
making glucose-free galactose was to incubate dissolved galactose with
glucose-grown yeast for a while, then clearing the cells and
recrystallizing...).

Arle
a.k.a. Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg
University of Leeds        phone  +44 +113 2333172
Leeds LS2 9JT              FAX    +44 +113 2333167
Great Britain              arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk