Sugars in yeast ext.?

Chuck Staben staben at pop.uky.edu
Wed Jul 19 16:57:31 EST 1995

We had a problem with a single batch (of course I did not record the number) of yeast extract
that could have resulted from sugar contamination.  We study a drug (pentamidine) that
inhibits growth of yeast only under certain conditions, those usually associated with need for
functional mitochondria (glycerol, eg.).  One batch of YE suppressed susceptibility, which
could mean that it contained a sugar that remediated the inhibition (like glucose--but I would
have expected that the concentration would have had to be at least 0.05% in the medium.)
We switched yeast extract and had no further problems.