Sugars in yeast ext.?

Sandy Silverman sandy at icr.pt.cyanamid.COM
Wed Jul 19 16:35:31 EST 1995

In article <1995Jul18.183219.28748 at leeds.ac.uk> arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk (Arle Kruckeberg) writes:

   Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.yeast
   From: arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk (Arle Kruckeberg)
   Originator: -Not-Authenticated-[4360]@leeds.ac.uk
   Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 19:32:19 +0100 (BST)

   In article <SANDY.95Jul17131112 at icr.pt.cyanamid.COM>
   sandy at icr.pt.cyanamid.COM (Sandy Silverman) writes:

   > Some time ago I recall anecdotal reports of dextrose in yeast extract.
   > Has anybody measured sugar content of yeast ext. (or Peptone)?

   Linda Bisson and Dan Fraenkel (J. Bacteriol. 159:1013-1017, 1984)
   measured glucose in medium comprised of Difco yeast extract and
   peptone, using a Sigam glucose oxidase kit. They reported that "growth
   medium without added glucose contained 0.08 mM glucose [about
   0.0015%]".

   I'll bet its gone in a hurry after inoculation (an old method for
   making glucose-free galactose was to incubate dissolved galactose with
   glucose-grown yeast for a while, then clearing the cells and
   recrystallizing...).

   Arle
   a.k.a. Dr. Arthur L. Kruckeberg
   University of Leeds        phone  +44 +113 2333172
   Leeds LS2 9JT              FAX    +44 +113 2333167
   Great Britain              arle at biovax.leeds.ac.uk

Thanks!  Are there enough other sugars (trehalose?) to rescue mitochondrial
deficiencies?

-----Sandy

--
Sanford Silverman                   >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid