postdoctoral position in Candida albicans

ptm at biosci.cbs.umn.edu ptm at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:30:34 EST 1995

A position is available at the University of Minnesota to study the
mechanism of karyotypic rearrangements in Candida albicans.  The
position is available immediately and pays $23000 to $26000,
depending on the level of experience.  Funding is guaranteed for
three years.  Qualifications include experience with plasmid
construction, mapping, and fungal genetics.  The postdoc will be
part of a larger group engaged in preparing a detailed genetic
map of Candida albicans.  The University of Minnesota is located
in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, routinely chosen
as one of the top twenty-five places to live in the US.

Candida albicans is the single most important human fungal pathogen.
A diploid as usually isolated, it has no known sexual cycle.
It infects immunosuppressed patients ranging from AIDS sufferers
to transplant recipients.  In most of these patients it leads to
significant morbidity or mortality.  In healthy people, it exists
as a commensal.  The mechanisms of pathogenesis are not well
understood.  No virulence factors have been unequivocally iden-
tified, although its abilityto grow both as a yeast and as a
filamentous fungus may be important.

This opportunistic pathogen seems to undergo karyotypic rearrange-
ments with a relatively high frequency.  Physical mapping of
several strains has suggested that translocations tend to occur
at specific points, at or near SfiI restriction sites.  It seems
likely that the structure of these sites is related to their role
as preferred translocation points.

Detailed physical mapping of these translocation sites is underway.
A skilled molecular biologist is needed to elucidate the complete
structure of several of these sites.  Once the structure is
established, we will analyze the mechanism of translocation by
constructing strains in which translocations can be selected and
by determining the structural and genetic requirements for an
elevated level of translocation.

For further information, email me or call me.

P.T. Magee

Department of Genetics and Cell Biology
University of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55108