Anaerobic growth of S. cerevisiae

Richard John Brennan brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 28 12:32:44 EST 1995

Natalie Jean Morey (nmorey at bimcore.emory.edu) wrote:

: 	I am attempting to grow S. cerevisiae anaerobically.  Is there
: any specific media or media supplements that I should use?  Any
: information would be greatly appreciated.

: Natalie J. Morey		nmorey at bimcore.emory.edu
: Dr. Jinks-Robertson lab
: Emory University
: Atlanta, GA

S cerevisiae grow in YPAD or synthetic media very well
anaerobically. You'll need to supplement with tween 80 (50ul/l) and
ergosterol (sorry, don't know the conc off hand, e-mail if you need).
For v. strict anaerobiosis you'll need to prepare medium etc
in an anaerobic chamber, though personally I find that
degassing medium under vacuum then autoclaving in sealed bottles and flushing
with N2 is sufficient, yeast will quickly scavenge any small
amounts of O2 and switch to anarobic growth. There is an O2
sensitive dye you can use to check whether your medium
has any residual O2 (again e-mail if you need details).

Hope this helps, sorry for being slightly vague with the details, it's
been a few months.

Rich
Richard J. Brennan                           brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology
Harvard School of Public Health
665 Huntington Ave.                              (617) 432 0350
Boston, MA 02115                                 (617) 432 0377 (FAX)