Nocodazol stock solution

David Friedman dfried at darwin.genetics.washington.edu
Mon Jul 31 17:00:48 EST 1995

In article <199507311537.RAA29971 at noc.belwue.de> Hilt at PO.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Wolfgang Hilt) writes:
>Hi, we want to use nocodazol to synchronize yeast cells. Now the problem
>appaered that this stuff is not disolvable in water or ethanol. Does somebody
>know which solvent works for preparation of a stock solution. Can you send
>your answer directly to my e-mail adress. Thanks for your advice. Yours wohi

>0000  Wolfgang Hilt                  phone: +49-711/685-4388              0000
>0000  Inst.fuer Biochemie            fax:   +49-711/685-4392              0000
>0000  Universitaet Stuttgart         e-mail:                              0000
>0000  70569-Stuttgart Germany        hilt at po.uni-stuttgart.de             0000

Wolfgang-

Dissolve nocodazole in DMSO to a stock concentration of 1.5 mg/ml.  We use
a final concentration of 5 micrograms/ml to block our strain background
(W303) in YPD medium; concentrations may vary for different strain
backgrounds regarding arrest and viability.

I believe the appropriate reference is Jacobs et al., (1988).  Journal Of
Cell Biology 107:1409-1426.

-David Friedman