C. albicans cell colour

joao8528 brandao at telepac.pt
Thu Jun 15 13:23:31 EST 1995

In article <Vermaak.29.2FDC10DA at micr.unp.ac.za>, Vermaak at micr.unp.ac.za
says...

>A few weeks ago I received a culture of C. albicans to be used in
>sensitivity testing for antibiotics. I have noticed that after
incubation at
>30 degrees C for a week, the colonies on the plate start to change
colour
>from creamy/white to dark olive green/black. I made a smear of some
colonies
>that remained white and compared them with the darker ones. The cells of
the
>darker colonies are very similar in shape and size to the cream-coloured
>ones, but their walls are much thicker and  dark olive green in colour.
>know that C. albicans has a tendency to switch colony morphologies but i
>have not heard of it changing colour in this way. Do you think it might
be
>related to sporulation? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kim Vermaak
>University of Natal
>Pietermaritzburg
>Kwazulu-Natal
>South Africa

Dear Kim Vermaak

Specifically the answer to your request is not possible from my side. I
never heard of an olive green C. albicans strain. Nevertheless maybe I
can help you with the following suggestions:

1. Did you base your species identification on phenotypic characteristics
? If you did, I would strongly recomend that you pulse field the yeast's
chromosomes and make sure it is indeed a C. albicans strain.

2. Contact Frank Odds at Janssen Pharmaceutica in Beerse, België.

Let me know if you need any help on the pulsed field.

(U kan ook in Nederlands me scrijven!)

Best netgards, JB

Adress: Dr. Joao Brandao, Biotecnologia
FCT/UNL, Quinta da Torre 2825 Monte da Caparica
Portugal

Fax: + 351 1 295 44 61 (BIOTEC)
Ph: + 351 931 246 899
Email (Prefered): brandao at telepac.pt