chromosome VI

Francis Ouellette francis at BORDUAS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Mon Mar 6 00:56:10 EST 1995

> From: macdiarm at sbsu1.auckland.ac.nz (Colin MacD)

> Having started this discussion off with my original (slightly peeved)
> post, I would like to say that I am totally happy with the open nature of
> the genome project, and the accessibility of the "private" (EU and
> Japanese) databases.  Once I knew where to look, the searches I asked for
> were accomodated, and the people in charge were generous with their
> (hard-won) data.  They certainly don't deserve criticism on this count.

Also, please allow me to echo Colin's comments.  Having been on both
side of this fence, I assure you that the respective labs are making
the data available as fast as their 'system' allows.  There are very
different politics all over this planet, and if a certain sequence is
not present the second you want it, it is not because somebody is
hiding it away from you, it may simply be that it's there, but you do
not know how to access it yet.  There is now some 70% of the yeast
genome sequenced (not counting the rDNA on chrXII) and I am sure the
end is very near ...

> On the 'known/unknown' issue, just knowing the sequence of a gene doesnt
> nessesarily give any clue to function.  The real results are still to come
> in on the 'unknown ORF's', and I guess that data makes a publication now
> (a more interesting/difficult job than sequencing, anyway).

Indeed it does, and very soon soon, we will be hearing people upset
because the "/function=" hasn't been updated for their favorite
gene which they helped to understand.  Those will be fun to update!

regards to all, and to all sequencers specially!

f.