proposal

ABEL at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU ABEL at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sun Mar 19 16:19:33 EST 1995

On Sun, 19 Mar 1995 ABEL at utkvx.utk.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 1995, Steve Kron wrote:
>

> > (From what I've read about the Internet, I think the following is called
> > flaming.)
> >
> > Friends and Francis,
> >
> > I think that many of us who monitor the yeast network have become very
> > disappointed with the increasing amount of advertising, detritus and random
> > pleas for help or email addresses.  I can't remember the last thread of
> > intelligent discussion that was worth following.
> >
> > Perhaps it is time to switch to a more moderated format.  I think that many
> > of us would be happy to get less mail of higher value.   In particular, a
> > moderator could deflect some of the less specific questions about technique
> > (i.e. ones that begin "I am totally new to yeast and rather than read the
> > handbooks I would like to ask...) to the Methods and Reagents group.  Many
> > other queries could simply be dealt with by sending a polite "not
> > appropriate for this group" letter back.
> >
> > I suspect that the number of subscribers in the central target community,
> > active  researchers using genetic, biochemical and cell biological
> > approaches to understand yeast (!) biology, would increase.  If the
> > perception were that the listeners were true colleagues, I think that
> > interest in contributing comment would increase as well.  This is a
> > fantastic chance for a truly international forum that is being wasted.
> >
> > I welcome response, directed to the yeast network.
> >
> > Yours, Steve
> >

> YES!!!!!! I agree 110%. Its a huge waste of time to read _hundreds_ of
> e-mail bounces asking for addresses, advertisements, "This is probably
> not the appropriate forum for this question but...", and EVEN chain
> letters. I have considered dropping my subscription to these discussion
> groups because of exactly the reasons stated by Steve Kron.
>
> 						Greg Abel
> 						Abel at utkvx.utk.edu

O.K. before I get my eyes burned from the impending flames let me append
my previous message.  I agree with Steve Kron about the overwhelming
HELP! e-mails on the various news groups and it is inconvenient to browse
through 100's of these posts, but I also must agree with the other
responders to Steve's original message (read after my initial response)
that these groups would probably not survive a "filtering" of ideas,
requests, and Helps!. Also, news groups that are _too_ focused would
probably not do very well either.  I humbly request that I not be flamed
beyond recognition and submit that the possiblity of one good discussion
on the news group outweighs the 100's of Helps! I may have to browse
through.

						Greg Abel