Transforming E. coli with Yeast DNA... HOW!?

Colin MacD macdiarm at
Thu Mar 23 16:30:04 EST 1995

In article <3kqgju$ikj at>, SLForsburg
<susan_forsburg at> wrote:

> Esther Guarinos <EGUARINOS at> wrote:
> >
> >      I'm trying to check some yeast transformants by transforming E.
coli with
> > their DNA. The trouble is that I don't get any transformant of E. coli.
> >
> >      How can I prepare the yeast DNA to get some transformants?
> Yeast DNA preps are often difficult to transform into coli. My lab
> has had great success using electroporation of E. coli as our
> transformation method of choice with yeast DNA>
> susan

I agree - electroporation is the method of choice (especially for a
cen-based vector).  We had little trouble isolating clonable DNA from YPD
(no selection) cultures.

Colin MacDiarmid
macdiarm at