Yeast & mycoplasma

mdcabl at cc.newcastle.edu.au mdcabl at cc.newcastle.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 04:05:36 EST 1995

Hi all,
I have a strain of C. albicans which I have been using in pathogenesis studies.
On a lark I checked it for mycoplasma.  Yep, it had it, at least according to
the method I have used for mammalian cell cultures.  I guess I should have
thought to test it in the first place, but that's what I call the stupid tax.
Now that I know about it, I need a help with a few things.  First, what is your
favorite method for cleaning the cultures up? Second, how well described are
the mycoplasmas which infect yeast?  I ran a search on medline back to '66 for
the keywords "yeast" and "mycoplasma" but pulled up nothing regarding
mycoplasmas which infect yeast. Any information even personal experiences
with how yeast respond to infection would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Allen Black
Dept. of Pathology
Univ. of Newcastle