limited growth on sd

Dan Deaguiar ddeaguia at oeb.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 8 12:44:00 EST 1995

Hi all, I have recently begone wotking with yeast and I'm curious to know
whether it is normal for them to grow to a limited size on sd media. I
plate cells on sd media suplemmented with all aa's except the ones of
interest and upon transformation i do obtain colonies. The problem is
that after 5-6 days, the colonies reach 1-1.5mm in diameter and stop
growing. This also occurs when I plate cells on sd supplemented with all
aa's. Is this normal? Is there a problem with my media? I am making it
according to Sherman's recipe...Might this be strain dependant (I am
currently using one strain only)? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Dan D.