tetrad dissection microscopes

Michael Lichten lichten at helix.nih.gov
Wed Nov 15 12:02:31 EST 1995

In article <00998FDC.83125F50.1454 at CCTR.UMKC.EDU>, tmmenees at CCTR.UMKC.EDU wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
> I need to purchase a tetrad dissection microscope.  I found one from Zeiss for
> $5500-6000.  It is their most basic version (called TETRAD system). Are there
> other reliable 'scopes that are less money?  Also, I heard about a dissection
> apparatus that uses glass fibers for needles instead of having to pull
needles
> from thicker glass rods.  Does anyone have any details on this?
>                                 Thanks, Tom Menees

I don't know of a cheaper scope.  However, the "apparatus" that uses glass
fibers is pretty simple.  You fashion a right-angle needle support out of
glass rod or a microcapillary--kinda like what's left AFTER your friend
broke the precious needle you spent hours making.  Get some glass optical
fiber from Edmund Scientific--I don't know the catalog number because Al
Hinnebush bought some years ago and it's been enough to supply the entire
NIH campus in perpetuity.   Cut pieces off of this glass fiber that are
needle length.  I use a fresh razor blade but others have their own
methods.  Look at the pieces under a low power microscope and pick one
with a nice blunt end.  Make a little puddle of super glue on a surface;
dip the end of the support into the puddle and use it to pick up the fiber
piece you have selected.  Viola--one easy needle.  Just be careful not to
put your elbow down in the puddle of super glue.

--
Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov