Yeast Introns??

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Wed Nov 15 12:46:55 EST 1995

Brett,
if your sequence does contain an ORF interrupted by an intron, you're
in luck.  In yeast pre-mRNAs, introns are generally located close to
the 5' end of the gene, are usually short (averaging between 250-350nt)
and are flanked by very well conserved consensus sequences
(5'exon:GUAUGU-------UACUAAC---yAG:3'exon, where everything between the
colons are intron sequence and the UACUAAC is the branchpoint sequence
and y=pyrimidine).  Of course, there are exceptions to these rules, but
if you can find these signals within your sequence, you're probably
looking at an intron.

As for more detailed information on the structure of interruptd genes
in yeast, check out the following:

Pikielny and Rosbash (1985) Cell 41:119-126

Rymond and Rosbash (1992) The Molecular and Cellular Biology of the
yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Gene expression pp143-192

Ruby and Abelson (1991)  Trends in Genetics 7:79-85

Hope this helps.

Ken Howe
"The onions expressed here are my own"