Yeast Introns??

Ken Howe howe at DARWIN.UCSC.EDU
Wed Nov 15 12:44:59 EST 1995

David,
it's not necessarily true that running a yeast sequence through a program
designed to search for intron-containing ORFs in metazoans will yield the
appropriate information.  Yeast and metazoan introns differ in many ways-
regardless of the similarities in their removal and the components of
machinery by which they are removed.

Besides differences in the frequency and location of introns in PolII
transcripts between the two groups, splicing signals in yeast are much
more highly conserved than metazoan signals and even the consensus
sequences are different:

yeast:   5'exon nn:GUAUGU------------UACUAAC-----------yAG:n 3'exon
metazoan:5'exon AG:GUrAGU------------ynyUrAY--(Py)-----yAG:G 3'exon

In addition, the lengths between these signals varies.  For a computer
program designed specifically for locating introns in yeast sequences,
look up a recent paper by C. Fondrat and A. Kalogeropoulos in Current
Genetics (1994) V25:396-406.

Ken Howe
"The onions expressed here are my own"

may be helpful > http://dot.imgen.bcm.tmc.edu:9331/gene-finder/gf.html