Meaning of GAL+ nomenclature

Greg Cosentino Cosentino at medcor.mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 22 14:45:45 EST 1995

I have what will likely be a rather naive question. A yeast strain I
am using has the designation "GAL+" in the genotype description. I
can't find this described in either the Guthrie and Fink or
Strathern, Jones and Broach yeast handbooks. My guess is that it
means the yeast galactose regulon is intact (ie. wild-type GAL4 and
GAL80 genes) and that this strain can utilize galactose. Is this
right or hopelessly wrong? It is important as I am planning to
transform this strain with galactose-inducible expression vector.
Thanking you for your help in advance.
Greg