Sequence searching

BIE034 at news.salford.ac.uk BIE034 at news.salford.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 15:41:47 EST 1995

	As part of my university course I have to perform sequence
analyses on unknown (to me anyway) yeast DNA sequences. My task is to
identify coding regions and the proteins they code for. Since I have
had no formal training in any of these methods I would appreciate any
pertinent advice (there seems to be a bewildering array of techniques
at my disposal). I have come to the conclusion that the best approach
would be to identify ORFs using a combination of methods such as those
by Fickett and Shepard. Then to submit them for FASTA and BLAST
searches on-line. Does anyone know any codon biases for S.cerevisiae?
Does anyone know of any more comprehensive approaches?

		Thank you for your help,
			Simon.