test of SGD-INFO list [SGD CD-ROM]

Mike Cherry cherry at GENOME.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Oct 4 15:34:11 EST 1995

Michael Lichten (lichten at helix.nih.gov) wrote:
> Is there any way to download a more current version of the database portion
> of the SGD that will run with the current Mac executable?  I don't need to
> use any search functions (the Web pages are great for that) but for
> exploring chromosomes the Web maps don't work very well with Netscape and a
> one button mouse.  The Mac version works great but of course now it is 6
> months old, positively doddering and geriatric.  I don't mind downloading
> it, it is, after all, only 70 megabytes or so.....

Michael,

The 2.4 release of SacchDB was released four months ago in May 1995.
We have found that the number of people that retrieved this version
was small.  Also that the usage of the WWW version has continued to
increase.  We are therefore concentrating our efforts at keeping the
WWW version up-to-date.  However, I will be creating version 2.5 after
incorporating the information from the newly released chromosome X
sequencing project (F. Galibert, et al., 1995).  We are also working
to replace our existing WWW software so that the maps are usable.

Mike

    Addresses for the Saccharomyces Genome Database Project (SGD)
             e-mail:    yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu
                ftp:    genome-ftp.stanford.edu
             Gopher:    genome-gopher.stanford.edu
                WWW:    http://genome-www.stanford.edu/