PCR and Fungi

Steve Head w.steven.head at mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Oct 9 07:07:51 EST 1995

I have an interesting question.  I'm interested in quantifying the number
of viable fungi in an infected rabbit cornea.  We have developed a
reproducible method for grinding the corneas and doing serial dilution
plate counts as an excellent method for many applicatons. However this
has certain limitations which I won't bore you with.  We are now
looking at PCR and related methods and can easily enough extract the
fungal neucleic acids from the infected corneas by established
techniques.  My question this week is:

Which gene would you target to quantify viable fungi in a mammalian
cornea?

It is important that this gene be representative of the "infecting fungal
load" and that it be somewhat constant over the life cycle of the fungus.
The first fungus we want to look at is Candida albicans which exists
primarily in the hyphal phase in our model.

Thanks in advance for the help.....
Steve Head