Using Yeast in secondary science classes

Len A. Poli lpoli at cello.gina.calstate.edu
Sat Oct 14 00:21:38 EST 1995

I teach in San Francisco at a large inner city high school. I'm always
looking for ways to have students make observations which lead them to
ask questions. I am looking for ways to use yeast (easy to grow, minimal
equipment, easy to dispose of) to teach genetics.  I'm familiar with the
Maney & Maney text on yeast and have tried using the ADE+/ADE- strains to
illustrate dominance/recessiveness and diploidy/haploidy. The text is
difficult to work with. Is there anyone who has had experience in the
high schools with yeast and would like to communicate with me? I prefer
to  use email. My internet address is lpoli at sfusd.k12.ca.us
Thanks