environmental effects

midori harris mah3 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 16 15:39:30 EST 1995

greggb at execpc.com (Gregg Belli) wrote:
> I am wondering what sort of effect a large production plant (brewery) would have
>on the surrounding area.  Before I moved to the Milwaukee area, I rarely had a
>problem with yeast infections.  But after I moved here (within a couple miles
>from one of the breweries) I have been experiencing unexplainable infections
>on the skin.  I am wondering if the fact that I live so close to a brewery may
>be the cause.(snip)

I'm not a medical expert, but I doubt that yeast from the brewery could cause your problem. Brewers use a yeast called Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, which is very closely related to baking yeast. Both are essentially harmless to humans and domestic animals. ;) "Yeast" infections are usually due to Candida albicans, and skin infections are usually due to something or other like it. It is possible for brewery-derived pollution to contribute to skin problems indirectly, either by provoking an allergic reaction or by causing stress that lowers resistance to bugs that are all over the place. I think I've about exhausted my knowledge; hope it helps.

-midori