size of yeast

Sepp D. Kohlwein kohlwein at fscm1.dnet.tu-graz.ac.at
Mon Oct 16 07:06:45 EST 1995

oleh at post.its.mcw.edu (Oleh Kovalchuke) wrote:
>Haploid - 70 um.
>Diploid - 120 um.
>1 cell - 60 (80) pg.
>From Sherman's paper in Meth. of Enzymol.
>
>Oleh

I guess a decimal point is missing here.... 7.0 (1n) or 12.0 (2n)
microns would be closer to S.cerevisiae non-pseudo hyphal cell size...

mamber at synapse.bms.com (Stephen Mamber) wrote:
>In article <ucecegv.23.0083ABA4 at ucl.ac.uk>, ucecegv at ucl.ac.uk (Edward Varga) says:
>>In article <debbritt-111095112455 at cis-ts3-slip8.cis.brown.edu> debbritt at brownvm.brown.edu (Deb Britt) writes:
>>>A quick question, since I haven't found the answer in any of my texts yet,
>>>what is the average size of a Saccharomyces cell?
>>I think  it's between about 4 to 7 micron depending on the strain & how it's
>>grown.
>>
>I don't have the book in front of me but I think it's about DOUBLE your
>estimate.
>
>SWM
>
>mamber at synapse.bms.com

We have done extensive measurements by CLSM and the first reply was
about correct. pet strains are about 4 um and haploid wild type (w303,
D273-10B) is in the range between 7 to 8 microns; diploids are about
8 to 10 um.
Wished the cells were a little bigger for studying subcellular structures by
light microscopy... (sigh...)

Sepp D. Kohlwein

Sepp D. Kohlwein, PhD
Genetics and Molecular Biology Group
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry
Technical University Graz                   phone:  ++43 (316) 873-6456
Petersgasse 12                              fax:    ++43 (316) 873-6952
A 8010 Graz, Austria           e-mail kohlwein at fscm1.dnet.tu-graz.ac.at