Industry and public resources

Mon Oct 16 03:23:24 EST 1995

Michelle Ballard brings an interesting question to the yeast community:

>>I'm sorry to avoid the name of the gene in question, but
>>it's considered proprietary

I am not awar about any Dupont or other company 'owned' yeast gene.
In addition, a company employee tries to receive information through
the academic community in a public forum for (obvious) commercial interests.
I feel that companies should either discuss with scientists individualy or act
as equal partners in network communications. M. Ballard will have to follow
the company rules, but these rules fortunatly cannot expanded to the community.
I would like to see some comments on this topic.

H. Werner Mewes
MPI f. Biochemie
Martinsried, Germany
mewes at