Gal4 vs. LexA systems

nancy ayers nayers at utmem1.utmem.edu
Thu Oct 26 12:26:17 EST 1995

 Hello.  I am a graduate student beginning in a study of subunit
interactions among an oligomeric protein via the two-hybrid system.  We
have purchased the Clonetech Matchmaker I system and I have already had
some success with cloning my subunit cDNAs, yet..... All I read here and
elsewhere indicates that these are not the best vectors, especially for
confirming by Western blot.  Also, most of the publications I read about
protein interactions determined by two-hybrid seem to use Brent's LexA
interaction trap system.  Is this a result of my incomplete literature
search or is it really the case.  If it is true what are the advantages of
LexA over Gal4??

Any comments would be appreciated!!
Thanks.
NAncy Ayers