Yeast expression/2-hybrid

R. Dana - Green Gene rcdana at cts.com
Fri Sep 15 02:34:29 EST 1995

MBC '95

The Molecular Biology Conference,  San Diego, Sept 17-20, 1995

Presented in conjunction with the: International Symposium on Plant DNA and Preservation

Sunday

2:00 p.m. MBC '95 Opening Remarks:  Richard Dana, Project Green Gene/Ambiocom

Symposium on Yeast and Plant Expression of Heterologous Proteins.

2: 15 p.m. Development of Pichia pastoris as a host for the production of foreign proteins, James
Cregg, Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology, Portland

2: 45 p.m. In vivo Biochemistry in higher plants: Using a dominant negative
approach in transgenic Arabidopsis to unravel chloroplast protein targeting mechanisms
Marsha Pilgrim, Carnegie Inst, Stanford

3: 15 p.m. Expression of highly disulfide bonded proteins in Pichia pastoris, Elizabeth
Komives, Dept of Chem and Biochem,  Univ of Calif, San Diego

Expression of Nitrate Reductase (NR) in Pichia pastoris and Identification of a key
serine involved in posttranslational regulation of NR in Arabidopsis thaliana, Wenpei Su
and Nigel M. Crawford, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

3:00-9:30 p.m. Exhibits and Posters on Display

Keynote Speaker Session

7: 45 p.m. Plant Extinction, Harold Koopowitz, Univ of Calif, Irvine

8:15 p.m. Frozen Zoo: Linking ex situ and in situ conservation efforts, Oliver Ryder, Zoological
Society of San Diego

8:45 p.m.  A New DNA Bank, Richard Dana, PGG/Ambiocom, San Diego

 Monday
  7:30-9:00 a.m. Continental Breakfast, Poster Presentations, Exhibits

Session II. Sequencing and  Advances in Technology

8:30 a.m. Sequencing Project on Pombe, M. Morimyo, National Institute of  Radiology
Sciences Genome Group, Tokyo

9: 00 a.m.    Molecular methods for germplasm and DNA preservation quality control, Francis
Molina,  American Type Culture Collection (ATCC),  Rockville, MD

9:30 a.m.  New PCR Devices, M. Allen Northrup, Lawrence Livermore, National Laboratory,
Livermore

Regulation

10:00 a.m. Post-Transcriptional Regulation of Protein Synthesis of Alfalfa (medicago sativa L).
Endogenous Protein Kinase-C Activity and Phosphorylated Proteins in Ribonucleoprotein
Complexes, Saroj K. Pramanik, Univ of Guelph, Guelph

10:30 a.m.  Regulation of S-Phase Onset of the Cell Cycle, Susan Forsberg, Salk Institute,  La
Jolla

Two-Hybrid System

11:00 a.m. Peptide aptimers: Genetic Selection and Molecular Recognition, Barak Cohen,  Dept.
of Molecular Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston

11:30 a.m. Calibration and Application of the Interaction Trap, Erica Golemis, Fox Chase
Cancer Center, Philadelphia

12:00  a.m. Functional Interaction of Ligands and Receptors of the Hematopoietic Superfamily
using Modifications of the Two-hybrid System, K.H. Young, S.E. Hellings and BA
Ozenberger, American Cyanamid, Princeton

Lunch 12:30 -2:00

2:00 p.m. Applications of the 2-Hybrid System, Li Zhu, Clonetech, Inc., Palo Alto

2:30 p.m.  Probing Host-Viral Interactions, A. Ghosh, Univ of Nebraska, Lincoln

3:00 p.m.  Serge Gangloff, Columbia Univ, New York

Germplasm Preservation

3:30 p.m.The USDA National Plant Germplasm System Maintenance and Distribution,  Charles
Simon, Western Regional Plant Introduction Station, USDA/ARS, Pullman

4:00 p.m.  Technologies for Long-Term Preservation of Seeds and Plant Tissues, Eric Roos,
National Seed Storage Laboratory, USDA/ARS, Ft. Collins

4:30 p.m. Information and data: the Arabidopsis and other plant cDNA projects, Ernest F. Retzel,
Computational Biology Centers, Medical School, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

5:00 p.m. The Regulation of Pathogen-Triggered Programmed Cell Death and Other Defense
University of Colorado,  Boulder

7:30-10:30 p.m.  Session IV. Molecular Immunology, Structural Biology

7:30 p.m.  Opening Remarks

7:35  Patricia Jennings, La Jolla

8:00 p.m.   The Basic Structural Biology of Calcium Signaling, Walter Chazin, The Scripps
Research Institute, La Jolla

8:25 p.m.   Designer Genes for Protein NMR Spectroscopy, Danilo R. Casimiro, Dept of Molec
Biol, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla

8: 50 p.m. NMR Studies of Sidechain Titration Behavior and Histidine Tautomeric State of
Bacillus circulans Xylanase, Leigh Plesniak, Univ of San Diego, San Diego

9:20 p.m. DNA Binding Determinants of the alpha Subunit or RNA Polymerase: A Novel DNA
Binding Domain Architecture, Nuria Assa-Mut, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

9:45 p.m.   Structural basis for DNA bending by the architectural transcription factor LEF-1, Lee
Xiang, The Scripps Research  Institute, La Jolla

10:10 p.m.  The use of pseudocontact shifts in macromolecular structure determination by
NMR spectroscopy, Miriam Gochin, Univ of the Pacific, San Francsico

Tuesday
Ebola Virus and Emerging Diseases

8:00 a.m. Assessing the Dangers of the Reston Filovirus:Transmission and Public Health
Implications, Mary Elizabeth Miranda, Department of Health, Research Institute for
Tropical Medicine, Manila

8:30 a.m. Plant RNA viruses introduced into native ecosystems from human activities,
Zhongguo Xiong, Univ of AZ, Tucson

DNA Collections, Databases, World-Wide-Web, On-Line Services,  Session Chairman:
Stephen Beckstrom-Sternberg, Genome Informatics Group, NAL-USDA/ARS,
Beltsville

9:00 a.m. California Plant On-Line Database, Bradley Sherman, Institute of Forest Genetics,
Berkeley

9:30 a.m.  Mendel, Ellen Reardon, Rutgers Univ

10:00 a.m. Dick Bray, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

10:30 a.m.  Donn Davy, Human Genome Center, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley

11:00 a.m.  Digital Image Databases, Ramesh Jain, Univ of Calif, San Diego

2:00 p.m.     Role of Protein/DNA Binding Sites, Nuria Assa-Munt,  Cancer Research Institute,
La Jolla

2:30 p.m.   Agricultural Biotechnology in the Service of International  Development: Promoting
Cooperation Between the Public and  Private Sectors, Judith Chambers, U.S. Agency for
International Development, Washington, D.C.

3:30 p.m.  GeneTherapy, Stephen Chang, Viagen, Inc, San Diego

Software Exhibits and Computer Workshops  3:30-5:30

Wednesday

Genetic Engineering of Plants and Algae Biotechnology Forum (Jason Frank,  Session Chairman)

8:30 a.m. Mich Hein, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla

9:00 a.m. Genetic engineering of disease resistance in transgenic plants using a hydrogen-
peroxide generating glucose oxidase, Gusui Wu,  Monsanto, St. Louis

9:30 a.m.  Cell Surface proteins as biomarkers of nutrient-limited or toxic metal-stressed
phytoplankton cells, Brian Palenik, Scripps Inst. of Oceanography, La Jolla

10:00 a.m. Jason Frank, MicroForest, Inc., San Marcos (Session Chairmen)

10:30 a.m. Electroporation of the Green Algae, Dunaliella for Resease of Intracellular Glycerol
with Minimal Effects on Cell Metabolism, Ross M. Lilley and Mansour Shariati, Univ of
Wollongong, Australia

11:00 a.m.  Leigh Plesniak, Univ of San Diego An Expression System for Cyanobacter,
Bianca Brahmsah, Univ of Calif, San Diego

11:30 a.m.  Manipulation of microalgal metabolic pathways via genetic engineering, Terri
Dunahay,  National Renewable Energy Lab, Denver

12:00 p.m. Microalgal Biomass Production Strategies for Aquaculture applications, Ana Otero,
Universidad de Santiago

12:30 p.m. A Genetic System for Oceaninc Cyanobactyeria of the Genus Synechococcus, B.
Brahamash, Center for Marine Biotechnology and Biomedicine, Scripps Inst of Oceanography,
 La Jolla

Participants, Organizers  and Authors of Abstracts at MBC '95

Academic Press, San Diego

Nuria Assa-Munt, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Bruce Barnes, San Diego City College, San Diego

Stephen Beckstrom-Sternberg, NAL-USDA/ARS, Beltsville

Paul Bieganski, Computer Science, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

Erich E. Blatter, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

B. Brahamamash, Center for Marine Biotechnology and Biomedicine, Scripps Institute of
Oceanography, La Jolla

Richard Bray, Program Director, Biology  Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Elaine Brooks, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ,  San Marcos

J.P. Burans, Research Inst for Tropical Medicine, Manila

Charles H. Calisher, Microbiology, Colo State Univ, Ft Collins

John Carlis, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

Danilo R. Casimiro, Dept of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla

Judith Chambers, US Agency for International Development, Washington, D.C.

Steve Chang, Viagen, Inc., San Diego

Ed Chi, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

Barak Cohen, Dept of Molecular Biology, Harvard Medical School,  Boston

Larry Cohen, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Nigel M. Crawford, Dept of Biology, Univ of Calif, San Diego

James M. Cregg, Dept Chem, Biochem and Molec Biol, Oregon Graduate Inst of Science and
Technol, Portland

Donna Crinks, San Diego City College, San Diego

M.M. Dayrit, Research Institute for Tropical Medicine, Manila

Jean Dowty, Forest Genetics, Texas A&M, College Station

Richard Dana, Project Green Gene/Ambiocom, San Diego

Donn Davy, Human Genome Center, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley

Terri Dunahay, National Renewable Energy Lab, Golden

Christine Dumas, Lynnon Biosoft, Quebec

Terri G. Dunahay, National Renewable Energy Laboratory

Julian Duval, Director,  Quail Botanical Gardens, Encinitas

Richard H. Ebright, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Mohamed El-Sherbeini, Enzymology, Merck and Company, Rahway

John Erbe, Computational Biol Centers, Medical School, Univ of Minn. Minneapolis

Victoria Fabry, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Alan Fetter, San Diego City College, San Diego

Susan Forsberg, Salk Institute, La Jolla

Jason Frank, Microforest, Inc. San Marcos

Tamas Gaal, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Serge Gangloss, Columbia Univ, New York

A. Ghosh, Univ of Nebraska, Lincoln

Miriam Gochin, Univ of Pacific, San Francisco

Erica Golemis, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia

R. L. Gourse, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Stefan Gruenwald, Molecular and Cell Biology, Pharmingen, Inc. San Diego

Ted Hack, San Diego City College, San Diego

Kristin L. Hansen, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

C. G. Hayes, Research Inst for Tropical Medicine, Manila

Lee Hedges, Alpha Innotech, San Diego

Patty Heil, San Diego City College, San Diego

S. E. Hellings, American Cyanamid Company, Princeton

Ralf Hermann, QIAGEN GmbH, Hilden, Germany

N. E. Hoffman, Dept of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Stanford

Olaf Holt, Computer Science, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

E. Hongo, Natl Inst Radiol Sci, Chiba 263, Japan

Yue Huang, Mc Gill University

Ramesh Jain, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

Eric E. Jarvis, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden

Xin Jia, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Philip Johnson, Univ of British Columbia, Vancouver

Lewis E. Kay, Univ of Toronto, Toronto

V.V. Krishnan, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

T. G. Ksiazek, Research Inst for Tropical MEdicine, Manila

Richard Kinsler, San Diego City College, San Diego

Elizabeth A. Komives, Dept of Chem and Biochem, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

Harold Koopowitz, Unic of Calif, Irvine

Robert R. Krueger, Nat'l Germplasm Repository, USDA-ARS, Riverside

Martin Latterich, U.C. Berkeley

Rick Le Duc, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Ross M. Lilley,  Univ of Wollongong

John J. Love, Dept of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Inst, La Jolla

Ann Lundberg, Computer Science, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

Lawrence P. McIntosh, Univ of British Columbia, Vancouver

Edwin L. Madison, Dept Vascular Biology, The Scripps Research Inst, La Jolla

Brigitte Masone, QIAGEN, Chatsworth

Stuart Matz, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

M. E. G. Miranda, Research Inst for Tropical Medicine, Manila

N.L.J. Miranda, Research Inst for Tropical MEdicine, Manila

K. Mita, Natl Inst Radiol Sci, Chiba 263, Japan

Francis I. Molina, Mycology and Protistology Program, American Type Culture Collection
(ATCC), Rockville

M. Morimyo, Natl Inst Radiol Sci., Chiba 263, Japan

David Murray, Bayer, Institute for Molecular Biologicals, West Haven

Tom Newman, Plant Res Lab, Dept of Energy, Mich State Univ, East Lansing

Brian Norris, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

M. Allen Northrup, Lawrence Livermore National Lab, Livermore

B. A. Ozenberger, American Cyanamid Company, Princeton

Ana Otero, Universidad de Santiago, Santiago

Marsha L. Pilgrim, Dept of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Stanford

Leigh Plesniak, Univ of San Diego, San Diego

Saroj J. Pramanik, Dept of Botany, Univ of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario

Malini Rajagopalan, Dept of Medicine, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

Debra Rate, Dept of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Univ of Colorado, Boulder

Ellen Reardon, Rutgers Univ

Betsy Reed, Biology Dept., Calif State Univ,  San Marcos

John Riedl, Computer Science, Univ of Minn. Minneapolis

Margo Roark, Biology Dept,  Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Eric E. Roos, National Seed Storage Laboratory, USDA/ARS, Ft. Collins

Paul G. Roessler, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden

Wilma Ross, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Oliver Ryder, Zoological Society of San Diego, San Diego

Daniel G. Salas, Gene Therapy Program,  Univ of Calif, San Diego.

Ken Schiff, Biology Dept, Calif State Univ, San Marcos

Bradley Sherman, Inst of Forest Genetics, Berkeley

Jonathan Sherman, Microforest, Inc., San Marcos

Elizabeth Shoop, Univ of Minn, Minneapolis

Charles Simon, Germplasm Preservation Unit, USDA/ARS, Pullman

Dave Singer,  San Diego City College,  San Diego

Sujay Singh, Molecular and Cell Biology, PharMingen., Inc., San Diego

Michael  Sklar, Research Dept, BIO 101, Inc., Vista

Wenpei Su,  Dept of Biology, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

Kristi L. Swope, Univ of Minn. Minneapolis

Hong Tang, La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation, La Jolla

Becky Troxel, San Diego City College, San Diego

Warren W. Wakarchuk, Institute of Biological Sciences, National Research Council of Canada,
Ottawa

C.E. White, Dept of Chemistry, Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

L.R. White, Dept of Chemistry,  Univ of Calif, San Diego, La Jolla

M. E. White, Research Inst for Tropical Medicine, Manila

Doug Williams, San Diego City College, San Diego

Peter E. Wright, Dept of Molecular Biology, the Scripps Research Inst, La Jolla

Gusui Wu, Plant Science Dept, Monsanto, St. Louis

Zhonggou Xiong, Univ of Az, Tucson

Kathleen H. Young, Molecular Genetic Screen Design, American Cyanamid Company,
Princeton

Zhenwei Zheng, Stomatology, Univ of Calif, San Francisco

Li Zhu, Clonetech Laboratories, Palo Alto

Registration Information

AAAS MEMBER SPECIAL FEE : Includes admission to all sessions, Students,
Post-Docs, $245;  Academic, Government, Non-Profit $345, Commercial $595.
Non-AAAS Members add $150.  Banquet (Tuesday Night $30.00)

Accommodations available at extra cost Lake San Marcos Resort, 1025 La Bonita
Dr., Lake San Marcos, San Diego, CA Please call 1-800-447-6556 for reservations.

People who helped organize the meeting:
Leslie Barnes, PGG/Ambiocom,
San Diego; Harold Koopowitz, Univ of
Calif, Irvine; Donn Davey, Human Genome Project,
Berkeley, Jonathan Sherman, MicroForest, Inc.,
San Marcos,  Jason Frank, MicroForest, Inc., San Marcos,
Michael Sklar, BIO 101, Inc. Vista, Will Taylor, Univ  of Georgia;
Anthony Sanchez, Centers for Disease
Control, Atlanta; David Ornstein, PROMED;
Sharmila Muratoti, Univ of Illinois, Urbana;
The Salk Institute, La Jolla;  Betsy Reed, Calif State
Univ, San Marcos; Henry Shands, Jerry
Miksche,  Steve Heller, USDA/ARS,
Beltsville; Eric Roos, USDA/ARS, Ft
Collins; Charles Simon, Germplasm
Preservation Unit, USDA/ARS, Pullman, .
The meeting is being sponsored by
PGG/Ambiocom, San Diego, CA.
Wereserve the right to change speakers,
content of presentations, and
session organization.

 Meeting Information: 619-945-2321

rcdana at greengene.com

REGISTRATION FORM  MBC '95

  Name:
  Department:
  Institution/Company:
  Street:
  City:
  State:                     Zipcode:
  Phone:
  e-mail:
  Authors and Title of Presentation:

Type of Presentation: Slide ___ Poster ___
8.5 X 11 inch,
1 inch margin,  camera ready.

MBC Registration, Box 92746l, San
Diego, CA 92192  FAX: 619-724-8171