Pombe expert: please review animation

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Tue Apr 2 17:39:44 EST 1996

Frans Hochstenbach wrote:

> Dear pombe expert,
>
> For educational purposes, I have created a simple animation sequence
> illustrating the cell division cycle of fission yeast Schiz. pombe...
> http://www.nih.gov/sigs/yeast/life/animation.html

Congratulations and thanks to Frans for putting all that work together.
Looks *really* nice, Frans.   Great job!  Everyone ought to look at
this animation just for the coolness of it.

Speaking of pombe web resources, what has happened to Pombe Wisdom?
I havent been able to link to it for quite some time.

Another question:  in pombe, the ends grow at different rates (the
"new" end doesnt get started for a while, as Frans' video shows).
This is apparently the only real assymetry in the cell.
Mother/daughters can't really be distinguished except for the number
of birth scars;  there's no size difference.
Mother/daughter assymetry in cerevisiae appears to be important in
regulation, perhaps a natural result of a very polar growth pattern.
does this argue that pombe does things differently?
Ie, can you think of a reason pombe might need to know the difference
between mother and daughter?  (Obviously it needs to know where its
middle and the ends are, so polarity per se DOES matter).

susan

susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg/