flocculation

Michael Lichten lichten at helix.nih.gov
Thu Apr 11 07:23:40 EST 1996

In article <316C76CE.5798 at powergrid.electriciti.com>,
dhiggins at powergrid.electriciti.com wrote:

> Are there any innocuous compounds that you can add to a yeast culture
> that will reduce or eliminate flocculation?  Thanks.

I have been told that some flocculation is calcium dependent.  We have
found that for the clumping that strain SK1 displays, the addition of
polypropylene glycol 2000 at 10 ppm (i.e. 0.001%) helps considerably to
reduce clumping, although it doesn't eliminate it.  SK1 doesn't really
clump much until it stops fermenting; this is of course no help if you
have to grow high density cultures.

--
Michael Lichten
lichten at helix.nih.gov