FW: flocculation

* * at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Apr 15 10:31:31 EST 1996

In article
<c=CA%a=_%p=Labatt%l=LDN_EXCHANGE960411085947BC005D00 at ldn_exchange1.o.lboc.com>,
rob.stewart at labatt.com ("Stewart, Robert") wrote:

> greetings,
> Flocculation depends on the presence of divalent cations, principally
> calcium.  It works via a lectin recognizing glucose or both glucose and
> mannose on the cell wall.  You could try using EDTA, although I am not sure
> what that would do to the yeast. Try using excess non-metabolizable sugars
> which will inhibit the lectin-receptor interaction.
> Cheers
> RS

Hiya,
As an extension to the above info - It may also be possible to eliminate
Ca from the medium you are using - most strains don't need Ca to grow.  As
well, 200 micromolar Mg is enough for growth.

Colin MacD,
SBS Plant Science