Calcofluor staining

Sanford Silverman silvermans at pt.cyanamid.com
Wed Apr 10 17:46:02 EST 1996

Tomas Drgon wrote:

> In article <n1383604938.15309 at hermes.bc.edu>, Hoffmacs at HERMES.BC.EDU
> ("Hoffmacs") wrote:
>
> > Hi Netters,
> > I have read that calcofluor stains chitin in S. cerevisiae.  I have also read
> > that S. pombe does not have chitin.  As calcofluor stains S. pombe fission
> > plates, can anyone tell me what is the material stained in the fission plate?
> >  Thank you in advance.  Happy holidays to all.
> > Charlie Hoffman
> > "I'd rather be fission."
>
> Glucan.
>
> Tomas Drgon
>
> --
> Vinarske zavody Pezinok pozdravuju vsetky pokrokove sily sveta!

What kind of glucan, I wonder??

Also, pombe is reported to have glucosaminoglycan:

Sietsma JH
Wessels JG
The occurrence of glucosaminoglycan in the wall of
Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
J Gen Microbiol 1990 Nov;136 ( Pt 11):2261-5

--
Sanford Silverman               >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid