K.lactis problems??

Jean-Marc Ladrière jml at biocell.fundp.ac.be
Thu Aug 22 07:09:37 EST 1996

In article (Dans l'article) <4vcf90$6vs at highway.leidenuniv.nl>, Email
(YourName) wrote (écrivait) :

> Hi there, has anybody ever had any problems with creating mutants via
> gene replacement in K.lactis?? I've done a couple of experiments by
> electroporating my replacement construct into the cells, and so far only
> approx 0.5% of transformed cells have the expected gene replacement. Is
> this construct/locus/strain dependant and does anybody have any solutions/
> answers? Thanks.

Hi. This proportion of correct mutants is quite in the range of what can
be expected for disruptions in Kluyveromyces yeasts. I have made two
different gene disruptions in the same locus of a strain of K. marxianus
and the proportion of correct mutants was quite different for each. I do
not know if there is any way to increase the proportion of correct
mutants.

--
Jean-Marc Ladriere

"Qu'est-ce qu'un fat sans sa fatuite? Otez les ailes a un papillon, c'est une chenille!"
"What is a vain person without its vanity? Remove the wings of a butterfly and it's a caterpillar!"
                                                 Chamfort